Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/greatexpectationspregnancy.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-23-related-posts-plugin/init.php on line 215
These deliciously moist muffins are so satisfying they don’t need a topping. They’re full of fiber and vitamins and are easy on a sensitive stomach. Collecting and prepping the ingredients takes a bit of effort, but they freeze well and one batch will make week’s worth of perfectly portable breakfasts for two. As mini-muffins they also make good snacks for toddlers.
- 2 cups premium whole wheat flour, such as King Arthur
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and grated (or leave the peel on, your choice)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds or wheat germ (optional)
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup orange juiceInstructions
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin,* or line it with papers and spray the insides of the papers.
- In a small bowl, cover the raisins with hot water, and set them aside to soak while you assemble the rest of the recipe.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, nuts, and sunflower seeds or wheat germ.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and orange juice.
- Add to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly moistened.
- Drain the raisins and stir them in.
- Divide the batter among the wells of the prepared pan (it’s okay if the batter fills the cups).
- Bake the muffins for 25 to 28 minutes or until a toothpick in the top comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, turn out of pans to finish cooling. Wrap any leftovers airtight. Store at room temperature for several days or freeze.
Yield: 12 muffins.
*You can also use a 9 X 5 loaf pan, fill and bake at 350 for 50 – 70 minutes.