When you’re pregnant you crave what you crave, even when if you know sating the craving might lead to side effects you don’t want. But there is such a thing as no-regret curry during pregnancy, with this rich full-of-fiber coconut-peanut curry that packs flavor without the side effects of carry out.
It does take planning and prep and it uses up a lot of dishes. But the plain curry freezes well and can be customized to different tastes and moods for many more future meals.
- 2-3 tbsp oil or butter
- 1 chopped white or yellow onion
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 cup roasted peanuts or 1/3 cup fresh unsweetened peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/3- 1 cup of orange juice
- Cooked or frozen cauliflower, peas, snow peas, carrots, broccoli, potatoes, peppers
- Strips of meat or tofu
Sautee the onions until translucent, add garlic, cumin, sesame seeds and coconut and toast briefly until the aromas mingle. Put the mixture into a blender or food processor with peanuts, process until smooth using the orange juice to thin. Return to pan and reheat with vegetables, tofu or cooked meat.
Serve over rice or noodles with bread and optional condiments such as:
- Chili powder
- Diced apples, bananas or raisins
- Minced green onions
- Chopped basil or cilantro