This flavorful sauce is simple and packed with calcium, magnesium, potassium and fiber, and its mild cheesiness is less likely to cause heartburn than marinara. You can serve it as a sauce on roasted vegetables, as a dip, sandwich spread or a hearty pasta sauce.
- One 12-ounce can red peppers, drained
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 1-2 slices stale bread, torn, or a 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese
- Whole seeded, peeled tomato, or 3 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbs sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. It stays fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It freezes well also, store in a zippered plastic bag and defrost in warm water.